« Gen. Barry McCaffrey Report - July 2008 - Afghanistan | Main | Iraq Briefing - 04 September 2008 - The Meaning of Pink »

September 4, 2008

Gov. Sarah Palin at the RNC

Can we flip the ticket?

Gov. Sarah Palin was devastatingly effective last night.

Here's the video of her speech via C-Span:

She was positive and upbeat, and even delivered her barbs with a smile. Style and grace were the hallmarks of her address. Not a trace of bitterness that I could detect, despite unrelenting horribly negative coverage from most of the media and all of the left-wing blogosphere.

She and her family are ordinary people, not Ivy-league elitists who pander to the Washington press corps. No Harvard Law School, so sorry. She came across as "one of us" as it were. Someone who shares middle-class values, but clearly an extraordinary woman.

I was nervous before she went on. As she started, I could barely watch. Will she flop? Will she show nervousness and flub her lines? As it was, I needn't have worried. She was fabulous.

For the first time there's energy in this campaign. Gov Sarah Palin wowed the delegates at the RNC and has rallied conservatives nationwide.

For awhile now we've needed a Republican who is not afraid to go after corruption and pork-barrel politics in our own party. She went after them in Alaska, and succeeded.

Conservatives now have a real reason to vote for McCain, not just against Obama.

She could well be the face of the new Republican party.

She is the Democrats worst nightmare.

Also, did you see Rudy Giuliani, who went right before her and served as her warm up? He was incredibly effective. She couldn't have asked for a better lead-in.

Media attacks on Sarah Palin will only serve to rally conservatives, even, yes, social conservatives, around her. When will the media understand that if they want to destroy a Republican or conservative they should praise him or her? When will they understand that all these attacks only generate support?

Further, the withering media attacks and insinuations that she must be an idiot because she was only the governor for a short time made her speech all the better. Yes I know, "lowering expectations" and all that, but that's the point. When will the media learn that such attacks only make people look better when they end up performing well?

As always Mark Steyn said it better than I ever could:

I would like to thank the US media for doing such a grand job this last week of lowering expectations by portraying Governor Palin - whoops, I mean Hick-Burg Mayor Palin - as a hillbilly know-nothing permapregnant ditz, half of whose 27 kids are the spawn of a stump-toothed uncle who hasn't worked since he was an extra in Deliverance.

How's that narrative holding up, geniuses? Almost as good as your "devoted husband John Edwards" routine?

Heh heh.

The left hates her because she is a huge threat to them. Smart, attractive, articulate, a winning personality, an effective leader, and and most of all a pro-life conservative. In other words, everything that scares them.

No I don't know everything about her policy positions. But I do know that she is pro-life, pro-gun, pro-traditional family, small government, and with a son headed to Iraq must think right on foreign policy. Sounds like a winner to me.

Let's not have any nonsense about how "anyone can give a good speech that someone else writes" or that "well she didn't write the speech did she?" Ted Sorensen wrote John F Kennedy's speeches, and no one complains about that. Barack Obama has a speechwriter, and his name is Jon Favreau. No politician writes all of their own speeches. But by the same token all politicians do contribute or partially write their speeches. And if you think delivering them is easy, think again. Further, we now know that as with Rudy Giuliani who went just before her, the guy running the teleprompted messed up and got ahead of the speachgiver, so that at least for awhile both had to go it alone. And if you saw the governor of Hawaii, who went before Giuliani, well, she was awful, and not because of content but because of delivery.

Let's also not have any nonsense about how poor Obama has been savaged by the right so there's an equivalency. Please. Most all of the traditional media is in the tank for Obama, to the point where during the primaries Saturday Night Live felt compelled to do a skit about it. The media is in full attack mode against Sarah Palin, not to mention the left-wing blogosphere. I don't recall the media caring to investigate about Jeremiah Wright, William Ayers, or Edwards' extramarital affairs. All those stories were broke by the non-traditional media. But Sarah Palin? Suddenly everything about her and her family is fair game and a "teachable moment."

All this and she came through with style, grace, and humor last night. Surely she hit it out of the park.

But all these great things said about Sarah Palin said we shouldn't get too carried away. Sarah Palin has been at this for less than a week, and hasn't yet directly faced a hostile press or hit the campaign trail. And of course the debate with Joe Biden will be a huge test. So far so good, though.

She certainly wowed me last night and I am ready to go out and do more campaigning.

Onward to victory for McCain-Palin!
___________________________________________________

The text of her convention speech can be found here and here, and probably a hundred other places as well.

Here's the Youtube video of her address if for some reason the first doesn't work

Here's her bio video, which was aired at the RNC last night

Posted by Tom at September 4, 2008 9:00 PM

Trackback Pings

TrackBack URL for this entry:

Comments

snake hunters sez,

FOX NEWS, FAIR & BALANCED
(Democrats hate that).

Gov Sarah Palin: Drill ANWR; Get that Nat Gas PipeLine to the Lower 48, now! Create Jobs/Save The Dollar/Reduce Our Dependence On Foreign Oil. Drill Off-Shore, Now! Clean Nuke Power, Now!

(Nancy Pelosi Hates Those Ideas).

Sen John McCain: ALLOW OUR CAREER GENERALS TO MAKE THE DECISIONS IN IRAQ, AFGANISTAN AND PAKISTAN!

(Sen Harry Reid Hates That Idea).
Voters Will Decide On November 4th. (print)
__________________________________________
www.lazyonebenn.blogspot.com

Posted by: Ralph E. at September 6, 2008 2:33 PM

TRH,

Google "Anne Kilkenney and Sarah Palin."

Then let me know what you think.

The Loop Garoo Kid

Posted by: The Loop Garoo Kid at September 6, 2008 2:35 PM

What I think Loop is that you should not come here and post every bit of trash about Palin that you find. You know I don't get into that stuff on this site. I'll humor you this one time and that's it. I'm not going to get into the habit of slapping down every story about Sarah Palin.

I checked it out at Snopes and a Wasilla resident named Anne Kilkenny did write a letter about Sarah Palin while she was mayor. Throughout most of the letter Kilkenny makes various complaints that can be characterized as policy disputes of no big import. Much of the rest is trash talk or the he-said-she-said stuff that you get in every municipality.

I know a few mayors and have know and have known many town council members and other elected officials pretty well over the years. I have seen so many Anne Kilkenney type letters over the years it would make your head spin. Believe you me local politics is a thing to behold.

The bit about censorship is a yawner. Kilkenny may have mischaracterized the alleged incident. She might have a grudge against Palin over an unrelated issue she's not telling us about. Maybe Palin just didn't want sexually explicit books in the library or something. Guess what? Neither do I. Librarians are typically far to the left and do want these things in libraries. And librarians typically cry "censorship" if they don't get their way on something.

Who knows who cares.

Subject closed.

Posted by: The Redhunter Author Profile Page at September 6, 2008 4:00 PM

Tom,

Just make sure the subject is the only thing that is closed. The GOP had greeted Sarah Palin as she is the gretaest thing since sliced bread.

A neutral assessment of the fact is that she is just another pol--which is neither good nor bad. I's just that she isn't some kind of wunderkind.

Yeah, yeah. Local politics are contentious and I am not prepared to say hers are more contentious than most but she does seem to leave a trail.

As for librarians being lefties, if by that you mean thaey are in favor of having all sorts of books in their libraries, I guess so. If you don't like the books, don't read them. Don't let your kids read them It's like turning off the TV.

We'll see how the independent voters like her. I'm not sure if it matters, but I suspect they won't.

TLGK

Posted by: The Loop Garoo Kid at September 8, 2008 6:52 PM

Those are fair comments, loop. We'll just have to see how it plays out. I'm obviously a lot more impressed with her than you are.

Let's not discuss the library issue as it's not my cup of tea anyway.

All politicians leave a trail, especially when you have a thousand reporters running around. When you're looking it's not hard to dig up people with long-standing vendettas, and who as often as not have a hidden agenda. Being somewhat involved in local politics I have more than passing knowledge about this stuff.

The main benefit of Palin is that she so clearly has Obama and his minions rattled. They have no idea what to do about her.

Yes I'm enjoying this.

We on the right have been searching for a decent national leader for some time and haven't found one. Both Bush's let us down, and most of our congressional leaders are lousy and uninspiring. No contender in the recent presidential primaries particularly stood out. McCain has his appeal, but has spent much of the past 8 years annoying conservatives.

Until Palin came along, most of us on the right were driven more by anti-Obama sentiment than a drive to elect McCain.

Most of us on the right have looked at Obama and his followers with barely concealed contempt... but also some envy, though few I think will admit that latter part. We've been wishing we had someone like him.

And here we are, with many of us on the right are all agog over Sarah Palin.

There's no small amount of irony in all this, I realize. And it does speak to the problems in the GOP I alluded to above.

Lastly, all of us on the right think the press is out to get us anyway, so all the attacks on her only serve to endear us to her more. Keep 'em coming, I say.

Posted by: Tom the Redhunter at September 8, 2008 8:28 PM

It's interesting, because now (after only one month), conservatives are beginning to question her qualifications. At first, it was the "liberal mainstream media" is out to get her. Now, at the National Review, Kathleen Parker's article is titled: "Palin Problem, She’s out of her league." At first the left and the media were blamed for bringing up legitimate questions about her political experience. George Will and Charles Krauthammer have joined the chorus. Are these guys now considered part of the "liberal mainstream media"?

Posted by: jason at September 29, 2008 4:17 PM

jason

I'll ignore your attempt to bait me with a clever quip. And why the antipathy towards Palin? What is it that you don't like about her? Is it really just "qualifications"?

Here's my take on those three: Parker's column was way overboard. George Will is more a tory than a conservative, and he ceased to be an important part of the movement some time ago. I don't read every Krauthammer column, but maybe you're talking about this one? If so, you overstate your case. That's pretty tepid criticism if you ask me.

So that makes three, and I'm not even so sure about Krauthammer. The majority of conservatives are still with her. Of course, she could flop Thursday and we could all think differently. We shall see.

Funny thing is, her opposite, Joe Biden, is a walking gaff machine and gets away with it. Consider this recent statement of his on the CBS Evening News:

"When the stock market crashed, Franklin D. Roosevelt got on the television and didn't just talk about the, you know, the princes of greed. He said, 'Look, here's what happened,'"

Do I have to point out that 1) Roosevelt wasn't president when the stock market crashed in 1929, and 2) television hadn't yet been invented?

The man is a blithering idiot. Yet the - you got it - liberal mainstream media let him get away with it. Can you imagine the reaction if Sarah Palin had said this? Someone in the media owes poor Dan Quayle an apology.

But wait, there's more

Check out this series of Biden quotes on foreign policy over at NRO. Here's my favorite

“The United States and other countries should commit military forces to the exclusive use by the United Nations’ Security Council.” (Joe Biden as reported October 29, 1992)

He may be more qualified on paper than Sarah Palin, but I don't want him anywhere near the White House.

Posted by: The Redhunter Author Profile Page at September 29, 2008 9:17 PM