« "How Hatred Became a Liberal Value" | Main | It's the Democrats who are Extreme on Abortion »

August 22, 2012

Yes Todd Akin is an Idiot and Yes He Should Quit the Race

I was at a meeting of the vast right-wing conspiracy when I learned what Rep Todd Akin (R-MI-2) said in an interview:

Well you know, people always want to try to make that as one of those things, well how do you, how do you slice this particularly tough sort of ethical question. First of all, from what I understand from doctors, that's really rare. If it's a legitimate rape, the female body has ways to try to shut that whole thing down. But let's assume that maybe that didn't work or something. I think there should be some punishment, but the punishment ought to be on the rapist and not attacking the child.

What he said was outrageous. Because he is the Republican nominee in the Missouri race for U.S. Senate, the whole thing blew up and quickly became a national controversy. Long story short just about everyone except his opponent has said that he should withdraw from the race. I agree, he should quit immediately.

Republican Party leaders everywhere have done the right thing and asked him to withdraw as well. Not that I expected any less, but condemnation from our party and movement seems nearly universal. I'm sure there are exceptions, but they are just that; exceptions.

Sadly, none of this will make any difference to liberal hate-mongers, who continue to try and insist that Aken is somehow representative of all conservatives and Republicans, that we are waging a war on women, blacks, poor people, blah blah blah. Whatever.

My guess is that Akin will withdraw within a week or two. As for now, I a pleased with the way my movement is handling this.

Posted by Tom at August 22, 2012 9:00 PM

Trackback Pings

TrackBack URL for this entry:

Comments

Maybe "your movement" would be better off educating itself about the birds and the bees rather than wasting time with all your false outrage against Todd Akin, who only got caught expressing views that we all know are common among "your movement". And when the rubber hits the road, why do your party higher-ups (including Limbaugh, Hannity, Boehner, Cantor, McConnell) always run away from supporting the true believers in "your movement". Could it be that they actually don't believe in "your movement", and are only using you as political pawns? There is no position on abortion rights more extreme than to insist that a woman has to bear the child of her rapist. You're sick if you believe that.

Posted by: RWNutjob at August 25, 2012 8:47 AM

So let me get this straight; virtually all conservatives of note and all elected Republicans have denounced Todd Aken, yet "we all know" that his views are representative of my movement. You should try and be logical at least some of the time.

Posted by: The Redhunter Author Profile Page at August 26, 2012 9:41 PM

Oh, that's right...Republican politicians never lie, obfuscate or talk out of both sides of their mouths. My bad.

Posted by: RW nutjob at August 26, 2012 10:25 PM

What are you talking about? I never said they didn't. Of course politicians on both sides of the isle do those things, but that's not what this post was about.

Posted by: The Redhunter Author Profile Page at August 27, 2012 6:13 PM

You said all of the important GOP leaders denounced Akin and I'm saying that they are insincere in both their outrage and their denouncements. You all are only denouncing Akin to try to minimize the political damage he caused, not because you were truly offended by his statements.

Posted by: Rwnutbag at August 27, 2012 9:28 PM

And yet not one Democrat has denounced Joe Biden for suggesting Romney would put blacks "back in chains."

And of course Obama can't denounce the hate speech coming from ANY of his allies.

So, Nutjob is the last person to be questioning the sincerity of Republicans who denounce Akin.

What a hypocrite!

Posted by: Mike's America at August 29, 2012 9:40 PM

And you know this because you have magical mind-reading ability? You reach conclusions without offering any evidence. You think your opinions are valid because they are your opinions. Well, opinions without evidence are meaningless. You offer opinions and conclusions without evidence, therefore what you write is meaningless.

Posted by: The Redhunter Author Profile Page at August 29, 2012 10:37 PM

Oh, you mean like your opinion that life begins at conception? Of course what I said is my opinion...which doesn't exclude the likelihood that it's also true.

Posted by: Rwnutbag at August 30, 2012 12:50 AM